Datamax I-4406 Specifications
The Datamax I-Class printer line is the most comprehensive, cost-effective industrial label printing solution available in the thermal printer marketplace today and will continue to provide the same exceptional value into the future. The I-Class Family currently consists of the DMX-I-4208, I-4308, I-4210, I-4212, I-4406, and I-4604. I-Class printers are available with varying printhead resolutions, from 203 to 600 dots per inch, and print speeds, from 4 to 12 inches per second. I-Class accessories are field installable and removable, increasing the utility of your technology investment, and most enhancement options are simply plugged into the printer's rear card cage. All I-Class printers feature the same innovative design incorporating scalability into a rugged structure that ultimately creates a versatile, powerful label printing tool. With the most standard memory and a vast number of available configurations, the I-Class has emerged as the printer of choice for large, multinational operations. However, the remarkably sophisticated design and its resulting ease-of-use make the I-Class the product of choice among facilities of all sizes in all parts of the world where performance and value are not simply marketing buzzwords.
The DMX-I-4406 printer brings new innovations and standards in price, performance, quality and reliability to high-resolution thermal label printing.
With 16MB of standard memory and a 90 MHz processor, downloading large amounts of intricate information is a breeze. Throughput is the fastest in this class of printer thus making large batch jobs flow quickly. The DMX-I-4406 is built on Datamax's proven I-Class design and is perfect for applications utilizing very small labels with high resolution and intricate graphics, or two-dimensional bar codes including Micro PDF, PDF417, Aztec and Datamatrix. The 406 dpi (16 dots/mm) printhead, coupled with the capability to accurately maintain critical print registration enable this product to produce labels for applications such as small parts tracking, identification of wiring harnesses, pharmaceutical packing and research samples, just to name a few. The die-cast aluminum frame and metal cover provide a rugged, reliable platform that stands up to the harshest industrial environments. The DMX-I-4406 prints a full 4-inch wide label. Field installable flash/font expansion cards serve to minimize download time and maximize printer output by allowing for label format and graphics storage, downloadable fonts and international language print capabilities. The I-4604 printer is the most versatile, high-density, 4" printer in the market.
• A powerful 32-bit multi-tasking processor and an industry leading 16MB of addressable RAM;
• An easy-to-read front LCD display;
• Color coded operator cues;
• Embossed media loading diagrams;
• Easily accessible printhead mechanism;
• A unique collapsible ribbon hub that makes loading and unloading a snap;
• Flash upgradeable firmware.
ENGINEERED TO PROTECT YOUR INVESTMENT
• Modular design facilities adding and/or changing options with ease.
• Easy to upgrade and reconfigure for business growth.
• Extremely easy to maintain-change the printhead and the platen roller in less than 5 minutes.
• Standard bi-directional parallel and high-speed serial interfaces allow easy integration into your system.
• Optional USB, Ethernet and Twinax/Coax support allows the printer to connect to virtually any host system environment.
The DMX-I-4406 printer from Datamax is perfect for applications that demand printing very small labels, high-resolution graphics, or two-dimensional bar codes. With a 406 dpi (16 dots/mm) printhead and the ability to accurately maintain print registration, the I-4406 produces small labels for applications such as tracking small parts with high resolution bar code labels, printing high quality graphics for identifying wiring harnesses, cosmetic labels or adding an intricate Datamatrix, Aztec, or PDF-417 bar code label to a package.
When it comes to reliability, ease of use, maintenance, and high performance, there is just one choice—the Datamax I-4406. It's the industry's answer to your high performance, high-resolution printing needs.
|Die-cast aluminum frame
||Precision die-cast aluminum frame designed for manufacturability.
||Durable, light weight design.
|Supplies loading diagram embossed into the frame
||Makes loading intuitive. No operator’s manual required.
||No diagram of the paper path to lose.
|Color coded component cues
||Components that can be touched, moved or adjusted are green and easily recognizable.
||Reduces training time. More intuitive. Novice users are less fearful of printer operations.
|Unique collapsible ribbon hub
||Designed for simple loading and unloading of ribbons.
||No cores to lose, time to load and unload ribbon reduced.
|Front 5 button 2 line, 20 character LCD display
||Configure the printer and change how the printer operates.
||All configurations take place via the intuitive front menu. No complicated dipswitches.
|Wide access to the printhead
||Printhead mechanism is hinged to provide wide-open access.
||Easier to load ribbon and media, easier to clean printhead for longer life.
||DPL and additional font capability can be upgraded or enhanced without the need for modifications to the printer or electronics.
||Easier to remain current. Updates can be made to the printer without the need for replacing EPROMS.
|Windows printer driver
||Windows applications have the ability to use the I-CLASS as a Windows printer.
||End-users can choose which application software to use with the I-CLASS.
||Utilizes the Datamax Programming Language.
||Many existing applications support DPL.
|Field installable options
||Cutter and sensor simply plug into the front of the printer. Memory and connectivity options slide into the card cage located in the back.
||Not necessary to "disassemble" the printer just to add options.
|Serial and parallel communications
||Industry standard RS-232C and Centronics Parallel ports included for host communication.
||Off-the-shelf communications cables can be used to provide printer/host connection.
|Dual locking printhead
||Printhead latch locks with stainless steel pins on either side of the printhead.
||Allows for even printhead pressure across the width of the head.
|Clean electronics side
||Designed for quality — no belts to wear out, no springs and cables crossing each other.
||Printer is designed for reliability and serviceability throughout.
|Auto-resetting board fuses
||Fuses protect the printer from surges then reset themselves.
||No fuses to replace while maintaining the integrity of the electronics.
|Split ribbon supply hub
||Ribbon supply hub is split, allowing the proper back tension for all sizes of ribbons.
||Provides even tension to give smooth, wrinkle free, ribbon operation and prevent ribbon breakage.
|Improved fanfold capability
||Printhead mechanism is designed to easily accept fanfold media.
||Fanfold media feeds through back of printer, works right every time.
|1.5" and 3" media cores
||Revolving media hubs available in 1.5" and 3" sizes.
||Worldwide focus works with all major sizes of media rolls.
Cutter, Light-Duty (Backing-Only)
A rotary-type mechanism to automatically cut material with a maximum thickness of .005" (.127 mm) into minimum lengths of 1.25 inches (31.8 mm). An adjustable tray to collect up to 200 cut labels and tags is also available.
Cutter, Standard Duty
A rotary-type mechanism to automatically cut material with a maximum thickness of .010" (.254 mm) into minimum lengths of 1.25 inches (31.8 mm). An adjustable tray to collect up to 200 cut labels and tags is also available.
The DMXNet Print Server Card is an internal Network Interface Controller (NIC) that enables the printer to provide EthernetÒ connectivity. Features include:
• Automatic selection of 10Base2 (Thinnet) or 100BaseT Fast Ethernet connection.
• Integral HTTP Server to allow monitoring and management from a standard Web browser program.
• Peer-to-Peer (serverless) discovery and printing from Windows 95/98/ME/XP or Windows NT/2000 workstations without a Novell file server present.
• FTP printing to allow printing directly from a Web browser or other FTP client.
• Dynamic Domain Name Service (DDNS).
• Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP).
• Novell "YES" certified.
• Novell NetWare PSERVER on both bindery based and Novell Directory Services (NDS).
• LPR/LPD over TCP/IP for UNIX platforms and Microsoft Windows.
• Raw sockets support over selectable TCP/IP port with filters for selected UNIX environment.
• IP and IPX SNMP support of MIB-2, proprietary NIC MIB and public and proprietary (private) Printer MIB.
• SNMP traps to alert administrators of printer errors (paper/ribbon out, head up, etc).
• E-mail notification of printer errors to specified addresses.
• Universal Plug and Play (UPnP).
• FTP download allows users to upgrade the interface's Flash memory.
External Media Rewinder (specify voltage requirement when ordering)
A precision-crafted, bi-directional rewinding mechanism with device-dependant features:
• DMXREW1 - accommodates 1 to 4-inch (25 to 101 mm) diameter cores; accepts a maximum label width of 4.5 inches (114 mm); and, rewinds to a 8-inch (203 mm) maximum outer diameter at 10 inches per second.
• DMXREW2 - accommodates 3-inch (76 mm) diameter cores; accepts a maximum label width of 9.5 inches (241 mm); and, rewinds to a 12-inch (304 mm) maximum outer diameter at 30 inches per second.
Font Expansion Card (cannot be used with the I/O Expansion card)
A slide-in circuit card assembly with 8MB Flash memory expansion for International Language Printing Capability (ILPC) and/or additional fonts and graphics. ILPC consists of one of the following:
• CG-Times (Western European) Scalable font
• Kanji Gothic B Scalable font
• Simplified Chinese GB Scalable font
• Korean Hangul Scalable font
ILPC - CG Times Firmware
The firmware can be upgraded to include the Datamax ILPC (International Language Printing Capability) CG Timesä font. This supports the Datamax Enhanced Language Code Pages.
An internal mechanism to wind six-inch outer diameter rolls of printed labels, or the label backing material for the Peel and Present option.
I/O Expansion Card (specify features at time of order)
The standard features of this slide-in circuit card assembly include:
• General purpose (GPIO) interface for external printer and device control.
• Time and date calendar (Real Time Clock) function for label time-stamping.
An optional feature also offers:
• 8MB Flash memory expansion for graphics and/or additional fonts including International Language Printing Capability (ILPC).
Peel and Present Mechanism (requires the Internal Rewind option)
An output control device that automatically separates printed labels from the backing material and allows subsequent printing to occur only after the removal of a previously printed label. Minimum label length is 1.5 inches (38 mm).
An output control device that allows subsequent printing to occur only after the removal of a previously printed label.
RS-422 Serial Interface**
Single-drop interface hardware to support greater distances from the host at communication rates of up to 38,400 baud.
Thermal Transfer (specify configuration at time of order)
A printing method that uses ribbon to produce exceptional image clarity, as compared to most direct thermal media types. This option must be specified for use with either "coated side in" ribbon or "coated side out" ribbon.
A slide-in circuit card assembly that provides connectivity to AS/400 and System/3X Twinax host system or 3270-type host system. Cable included.
A slide-in circuit card that provides the printer with a Universal Serial Bus, Version 1.1, for Windows printing environments only.