Datamax W-6208 Specifications
The Datamax W-Class Family of printers was designed to address the specialized printing needs of applications where wide label formats are industry-standard requirements. The W-Class product family consists of the DMX-W-6208, the W-6308, and the W-8306. W-Class wide-format label printing products are the most advanced of their kind in the marketplace today. The W-Class features more standard memory, a beefier processor, and the scalability required in today's connected workplace. The W-Class utilizes the acclaimed electronics features of the industry-leading Datamax I-Class product line, including a card cage with the option to add electronics accessories on-site. W-Class printers are constructed to endure the most intense industrial printing environment, with an all-metal chassis and heavy-duty metal exterior designed to protect the value of your technology investment.
The DMX-W-6208 features an all-metal construction designed to withstand adverse work environments. With a 6.6" (168mm) print width, 203 dpi (8 dots/mm) and speeds up to 8" (203mm) per second makes it ideal for heavy-duty applications in the automotive, chemical, transportation and paper-processing industries. It is equipped with a 32-bit 90-MHz true multi-tasking Motorola ColdFire™ processor and 16MB of standard memory, which provides accelerated first-label output and variable-data printing. It is an ideal printer for compliance labeling applications including ODETTE, EAN-128 and AIAG labels.
The DMX-W-6208 is equipped with an adjustable-contrast LCD front-panel display that allows operators to select media, speed and temperature settings as well as network connectivity options.
• A powerful 32-bit multi-tasking, 90MHz processor and an industry leading 16MB of addressable RAM;
• An easy-to-read front LCD display;
• The front LCD features selectable, built-in, international language support for English, French, Italian,
German and Spanish. International Language Print Capabilities are available for over 40 international
• Color coded operator cues;
• Initiative media loading diagrams;
• Easily accessible printhead mechanism;
• A simplified design of the ribbon hub that makes loading and unloading a snap;
• Flash upgradeable firmware.
ENGINEERED TO PROTECT YOUR INVESTMENT
• Modular design facilities adding and/or changing options with ease.
• Easy to upgrade and reconfigure for business growth.
• Extremely easy to maintain, change the printhead in less than 5 minutes.
• Standard bi-directional parallel and high-speed serial interfaces allow easy integration into your system.
• Optional USB, Ethernet and Twinax/Coax support allows the printer to connect to virtually any host system environment.
When it comes to reliability, ease of use, maintenance, and high performance, there is just one choice—the Datamax W-6208. It's the most affordable high performance wide web thermal printer in today's market.
|Field tested construction, durable metal covers
||Metal frame designed for reliability. Metal covers protect printer and media from damage.
||Durable construction for tough environments.
|Simple loading of media and ribbon
||No operators manual required. Easy to follow loading diagram in the inside cover.
||No paper path diagram to lose.
|Color coded component cues
||Components that can be touched, moved or adjusted are green and easily recognizable.
||Reduces training time. More intuitive. Novice users are less fearful of printer operations.
|Front 5 button 2 line, 20 character LCD display
||Configure the printer and change how the printer operates.
||All configurations take place via the intuitive front menu. No complicated dipswitches.
|Wide access to the printhead
||Printhead mechanism is hinged to provide wide-open access.
||Easier to load ribbon and media, easier to clean printhead for longer life.
||Datamax Printer Language and additional font capability can be upgraded or enhanced without the need for modifications to the printer or electronics.
||Easier to remain current. Updates can be made to the printer without the need for replacing EPROMS.
|Windows printer driver
||Windows applications have the ability to use the W-CLASS as a Windows printer.
||End-users can choose which application software to use with the W-CLASS.
|Datamax Printer Language
||Utilizes the Datamax Printer Language.
||Many existing applications support Datamax Printer Language.
|Field installable options
||Cutter and sensor simply plug into the front of the printer. Memory and connectivity options slide into the card cage located in the back.
||Not necessary to disassemble the printer just to add options.
|Serial and parallel communications
||Industry standard RS-232C and Centronics Parallel ports included for host communication.
||Off-the-shelf communications cables can be used to provide printer/host connection.
|Dual locking printhead
||Printhead latch locks with stainless steel pins on either side of the printhead.
||Allows for even printhead pressure across the width of the head.
|Clean electronics side
||Designed for quality, no belts to wear out, no springs and cables crossing each other.
||Printer is designed for reliability and serviceability throughout.
|Auto-resetting board fuses
||Fuses protect the printer from surges then reset themselves.
||No fuses to replace while maintaining the integrity of the electronics.
|Split ribbon supply hub
||Ribbon supply hub is split, allowing the proper back tension for all sizes of ribbons.
||Provides even tension to give smooth, wrinkle free, ribbon operation and prevent ribbon breakage.
|Improved fanfold capability
||Printhead mechanism is designed to easily accept fanfold media.
||Fanfold media feeds through back of printer, works right every time.
|1.5" and 3" media cores
||Revolving media hubs available in 1.5" and 3" sizes.
||Worldwide focus works with all major sizes of media rolls.
A device to control the closing rate of the cover.
Light-Duty Cutter (unavailable for the W-8306)
Easily installed on the front of the printer, this rotary mechanism will cut a maximum material thickness of .006" (.152mm) into minimum lengths of 1.25 inches (31.8 mm).
Easily installed on the front of the printer, this guillotine mechanism will cut a maximum material thickness .010" (.254mm) into minimum lengths of 1.25 inches (31.8 mm).
Used to collect the media cut by the Standard or Light-Duty Cutter (specify application at time of order).
External Media Rewinder
Separate device with and 8" roll capacity to rewind labels and backing material.
Font Expansion Card (cannot be used with the I/O Expansion card)
A slide-in circuit card assembly with 8MB Flash memory expansion for International Language Printing Capability (ILPC) and/or additional fonts and graphics. ILPC consists of one of the following:
• CG-Timesä (Western European) Scalable font
• Kanji Gothic B Scalable font
• Simplified Chinese GB Scalable font
• Korean Hangul Scalable font
ILPC - CG Times Firmware
The firmware can be upgraded to include the Datamax ILPC (International Language Printing Capability) CG Timesä font. This supports the Datamax Enhanced Language Code Pages.
Internal Rewind (factory installed)
A mechanism to rewind printed labels and backing material inside the printer.
I/O Expansion Card (specify features at time of order)
The standard features of this slide-in circuit card assembly include:
• General purpose (GPIO) interface for external printer and device control.
• Time and date calendar (Real Time Clock) function for label time-stamping.
An optional feature also offers:
• 8MB Flash memory expansion for graphics and/or additional fonts including International Language Printing Capability (ILPC).
The DMXNet Print Server Card is an internal Network Interface Controller (NIC) that enables the printer to provide EthernetÒ connectivity. Features include:
• Automatic selection of 10Base2 (Thinnet) or 100BaseT Fast Ethernet connection.
• Integral HTTP Server to allow monitoring and management from a standard Web browser program.
• Peer-to-Peer (serverless) discovery and printing from Windows 95/98/ME/XP or Windows NT/2000 workstations without a Novell file server present.
• FTP printing to allow printing directly from a Web browser or other FTP client.
• Dynamic Domain Name Service (DDNS).
• Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP).
• Novell "YES" certified.
• Novell NetWare PSERVER on both bindery based and Novell Directory Services (NDS).
• LPR/LPD over TCP/IP for UNIX platforms and Microsoft Windows.
• Raw sockets support over selectable TCP/IP port with filters for selected UNIX environment.
• IP and IPX SNMP support of MIB-2, proprietary NIC MIB and public and proprietary (private) Printer MIB.
• SNMP traps to alert administrators of printer errors (paper/ribbon out, head up, etc).
• E-mail notification of printer errors to specified addresses.
• Universal Plug and Play (UPnP).
• FTP download allows users to upgrade the interface's Flash memory.
Peel and Present Mechanism (requires the Internal Rewind option)
A device used to automatically separate printed labels from the backing material. When accompanied by the present sensor option, on-demand label dispensing becomes possible.
A sensor used to control the printer output. When enabled, printing occurs after the removal of a previously print label.
RS-422 Serial Interface**
Single-drop interface hardware to support greater distances from the host at communication rates of up to 38,400 baud.
A slide-in circuit card assembly that provides connectivity to AS/400 and System/3X Twinax host system or 3270-type host system. Cable included.
A slide-in circuit card that provides the printer with a Universal Serial Bus, Version 1.1, for Windows printing environments only.